I am having a vaginal/lapriscopic hystorectomy this month. When will I be ready to return to work?

Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: Typically 1-2 weeks

The overwhelming benefit of laparoscopic surgery is less pain and consequently a more rapid recovery.
Most of my patients return to light activities and desk work as soon as they feel capable, usually within 1-2 weeks. An exception would be if your job requires heavy lifting. In my experience recovery is even faster with laparoscopic suparcervical hysterectomies compared to other routes.

In brief: Typically 1-2 weeks

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer

In brief: 3 to 6 weeks

Everyone recovers at their own pace so there are variations depending on your age, your health, whether or not complications occur with your surgery, and the type of work you do.
Pain and bloating should be largely gone by 2 weeks but fatigue may last longer. You should not do heavy lifting or abdominal exercises for the full 6 weeks.

In brief: 3 to 6 weeks

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer

In brief: Depends

Depends on type of work.
Many who work at a desk return in 10-14 days. A ups worker may need 6 weeks. I had 1 pt who had surgery on thur. & flew to sf on mon.

In brief: Depends

Depends on type of work.
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. Adam Smith