What would be a good way to convince my wife to go a hospital and ob-gyn instead of at home with a midwife in water?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Investigate degrees

I am highly supportive of women seeking care from certified nurse midwives.
We have a great cnm who works in our office. They have phd or masters degrees in advanced practice nursing and are highly trained qualified medical professionals. Other practitioners use the term midwife but have very different backgrounds and training. Make sure you understand the different types of midwives.

In brief: Investigate degrees

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
There are some non-CNM midwives who are quite experienced, but others are far less so, and in general all CPMs practice in resource-poor environments. As CPM training varies, CNMs have a much more consistent level of education. Homebirth is a whole is associated with 300% increase in perinatal death, though it is still only 3 out of 1000 infants (over 1/1000 in hospital birth).
Andrea Knittel

In brief: Open discussion

To get more information about options for delivery, consider having meetings with both an ob-gyn and a midwife to talk about your specific situation and any safety concerns or preferences you have.
You can discuss together what kinds of interventions you do and do not want as part of your birth, and also talk to other families about the choices they made. Well being and safety is the main concern.

In brief: Open discussion

Andrea Knittel
Andrea Knittel
Answer assisted by Andrea Knittel, Medical Student
Dr. Jane Van Dis