Been off ssri celexa (citalopram) for 5 months. Why do I still feel awful and lost weight? Felt ok before going on the med. Now off it i feel worse?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Residual symptoms?

I wonder if you stopped the medication on your own, or through working with your psychiatrist? Often when medication is stopped prematurely, symptoms return.
Or, Celexa (citalopram) was not helping and you needed other treatment. Please talk with your psychiatrist about this -- the weight loss and "feeling awful" sound like help is still needed. Good luck to you.

In brief: Residual symptoms?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Adam Glushakow

In brief: Still depressed

Most likely your depression or anxiety have worsened.
Long term effects after stopping the medication for months is rare.

In brief: Still depressed

Dr. Adam Glushakow
Dr. Adam Glushakow
Dr. Eric Weisman