Why does my vagina hurt when my partner and I first start having sex and sometimes when we're going slow?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Lack of lubrication

Dyspareunia is pain during sexual intercourse and is most commonly due to friction from inadequate natural lubrication.
This can occur for a variety of reasons ranging from psychological to hormonal (more dryness with lower hormones), but is usually not due to a lack of interest or sexual attraction to one's partner. Using an over-the-counter lubricant (ky jelly) or consulting the doctor can help.

In brief: Lack of lubrication

Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine