I have two lumps on my right breast. Went to doctor and will have a diagnostic mammogram done but in 5 weeks?

Dr. Ruth Crystal

In brief: Sounds too long

If you have new breast masses, you should have the mammogram +/- breast ultrasounds asap.
Ask your physician to call the mammogram center to see if s/he can get you in sooner. Also, ask the mammography unit to put you on their wait lists in case any one cancels. I would also recommend seeing a breast surgeon for evaluation as well.

In brief: Sounds too long

Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Ruth Crystal
3 comments
Dr. Barry Rosen
WAY too long! A breast center should be able to schedule you within one week for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.
Dr. Stephen Noga
Most large cities with cancer centers have a breast center or a breast health center. Most of these institutions pride themselves on bringing the patient in within 24-48 hours to reduce anxiety, get an answer, etc. These centers should have a dedicated breast surgeon, radiologist and medical oncologist among other personelle
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Lumps

That sounds like too long of a wait.
You can try calling different mammo centers, you will likely find one that will take you much sooner.

In brief: Lumps

That sounds like too long of a wait.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: See breast surg

5 weeks is not an appropriate interval.
A breast surgeon will understand this and often will workin a new patient w/ a lump within 24-48hrs. Any breast surgeon should have breast ultrasound in their practice as an extension of the physical exam which can often immediately tell if something is cystic (benign) vs solid. Even if a mmg is desired, in most metro areas, it should take only 1-2 days.

In brief: See breast surg

5 weeks is not an appropriate interval.
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale

In brief: Get a Biopsy

Waiting 5 weeks for a mammogram is unacceptable in my practice.
If these are lumps that you can feel then there is no reason why you cannot be referred to a general surgeon who can take a core biopsy of the lumps.

In brief: Get a Biopsy

Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine