How often can you takr 800mg of ibuprophen for pain management? I have had Achilles tndon surgery and do not want to take loratab.

2-3. Short term usage 1-2 weeks would help with the pain if you don't want to take lortab. Always ask your surgeon first as they are the primary answer to your question. If its ok to take Ibuprofen 800 mg then I would recommend one with breakfast and one with dinner. Also taking a otc Ibuprofen 200 mg with lunch. 4000 mg is the maximum dose but you shouldnt get close to it.
Every six hours. First, you should not have an allergy to this medication. Second, you should not have a history of ulcers. Ibuprofen should always be taken with food. You should not be on any blood thinning drugs like lovenox, coumadin, (warfarin) Plavix etc...You should not take these if you have kidney disease. Make sure your surgeon agrees with Ibuprofen for your pain management.
Every 8 hours. The maximum daily dose of Ibuprofen is 2400 mg. Be sure to drink plenty of water while taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication.
Problem w/ ibuprofen. There's a problem with taking Ibuprofen or any antiinflammatory (NSAID) after surgery: they impede healing. The body heals, after surgery, by the process of inflammation. Reducing inflammation prolongs healing. Opiates and Acetaminophen such as lortab reduce pain but do not impede healing. Use nsaids, post-surgery, at your own risk.