My brother had a tramatic brain injury and lost his taste and smell. He still gets hints of a taste or smell but mostly everything stinks.

In brief: Cribiform plate frac

He probably had a cribiform plate fracure.
That causes a loss of the cranial nerve 2 (olfactory nerve) due to shearing. Loss of smell is very common. It most likely won't come back. Sorry.

In brief: Cribiform plate frac

Dr. Patrick O'Neill
Dr. Patrick O'Neill
Dr. Robert Gould
Radiology

In brief: That can occur

Unfortunately, traumatic brain injury can result in difficulty smelling and the sensation of things smell worse than normal.
I would consult an ENT doctor and or your neurologist for further questions.

In brief: That can occur

Dr. Robert Gould
Dr. Robert Gould
Dr. Emerald Lin
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Common consequence

The olfactory nerve courses through the brain and towards the nose through a plate with holes.
When the head is subject to a force, there's a risk of shearing/ tearing of the nerve, resulting in those symptoms. As part of taste comes from sense of smell, taste is affected. It's hard to say the prognosis, but your brother should take more safety precautions- ie heat and smoke may mean fire closeby.

In brief: Common consequence

Dr. Emerald Lin
Dr. Emerald Lin
Dr. Eric Weisman