I just had open gallbladder surgery yesterday. Why is my right shoulder and back hurting? The pain is awful. I can't find a comfortable position

In brief: Open surgery

Open gallbladder surgery is a fairly major surgery with a lot of pain.
It seems unusual that you had major open surgery only yesterday and asking about pain the next day. Significant pain is expected with open surgery and most patients stay in the hospital for a few days after major open abdominal surgery. Contact your surgeon for pain management medications.

In brief: Open surgery

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Lots of reasons...

The biggest concern, given the location of your "referred pain" is for a bile leak.
I don't know the circumstances that warranted your surgical approach being an "open" one rather than laparoscopic, but open cholecystectomy is often reserved for the "tough cases." call your surgeon immediately (assuming you're home) and get checked now.

In brief: Lots of reasons...

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery