Can I sleep on my back while pregnant?

Dr. Syed H. Sajid

In brief: Yes.

Please, consult your obgyn, first.
You can sleep on your back, while u r pregnant, but it is better to sleep on your left side. Sleeping on your back leads to decreased blood supply to the placenta b/c of compression of the umbilical cord. This may effect the growth of the baby. The fetus gets good blood supply, if u sleep on your left lateral side.

In brief: Yes.

Please, consult your obgyn, first.
Dr. Syed H. Sajid
Dr. Syed H. Sajid
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer

In brief: Better if not

After the middle of pregnancy, the weight of the baby places undo pressure on the major blood vessels which supply blood (oxygen, nutrition) to the baby.
For this reason it is better to spend most of your rest time on your side and left is better than right.

In brief: Better if not

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. Adam Levy