Can I put anything on teeth or gums that are sensitive and am in some pain?

Yes. Several substances can be applied topically to tender gingiva to lessen pain. These are: 3% hydrogen peroxide, warm salt water, a chlorine dioxide solution, a dilute iodine solution, etc. A dentist should be consulted for a diagnosis re: periodontal disease and specific recommendations for care.
Orajel. Ora jel can be used to numb your gum as a temporary measure. Chloraseptic spray can also be spray on a sensitive gum to relieve herpetic lesion pain. However, these are only addressing the relief of the problem, not treating the cause. Sensitive teeth may be a result of occlusion, or gum disease which should be diagnosed and treated properly.