I have a ganglion cyst and I play sports. Will this hinder me in any way?

Not necessarily. If you are asymptomatic, continue to play. If it starts to bother you then see your doctor. Surgery is simple and safe.
Possibly. Problems like these can only be correctly handled by your doctor in person. He/she needs to listen to you, perform an examination and possibly run labs or other tests. That's the only way he/she can find out what's going on and what to do about it.