Can a problem with a shoulder lead to carpal tunnel-like symptoms in the hand?

Yes. The nerve that gets pinched in your wrist is the median nerve causing carpal tunnel syndrome. This nerve originates from the cervial spinal cord, passes through the shoulder area and into the arm and forearm. If there is irritation or swelling in the shoulder area it can irritate the nerve causing cts. An EMG always helps diagnose where the nerve problem is.
Not likely. Carpal tunnel is when the median nerve gets pinched at the level of the wrist. The median nerve gives sensation to the thumb, index, middle, and half of the ring finger and these are the digits that develop the pain/numbness/tingling seen with class carpal tunnel. The median nerve can also be pinched at the level of the neck and create similar symptoms but rarely at the shoulder.