What can I do to stop a genital herpes outbreak?

Several ways. There is only so much that can do. For an acute event valtrex (valacyclovir) 3 times a day. If your getting the infectiions very frequently..Then going on valtrex or Acyclovir every day will be the best bet. Unfortunaly the only way to ensure no outbreaks is not to get it in the first place.
Depends on frequency. If is a first time or second recurrence, then there is medication to make it go away faster. If it comes back frequently, then there are daily medications to take indefinitely. Once you have it, you cannot get rid of it. It just goes "dormant".