If someone who has a cold sore kisses you, will you automatically get herpes no matter what?

No. Nothing is automatic or guaranteed. You were definitely exposed though. Pay attention for the following symptoms - tingling on a specific place of your lips (usually one side or the other), small blisters along the lip line, or, at the first outbreak, feeling "under the weather", like you have the flu. If these occur, there are medicines that can shorten the outbreak.
No. Many people develop antibodies when exposed and never develop lesions.