Why do I test positive to herpes type 2 and my partner to test negative?

David Miller

In brief: Contagious but...

Herpes is a contagious std which is at its most contagious when you have active lesions.
When lesions are not present, the disease can still be contagious but less so. Things that can reduce the odds of spreading to your partner are avoiding sex with active lesions, using anti-viral suppressive meds daily (your doc can help with this) and condoms, but nothing is perfect. Try www.Herpes.Org for info.

In brief: Contagious but...

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Klein
To more specifically answer the question... it means you are likely infected and your partner is not. Sometimes the test can be wrong, so if he has active symptoms, he may still have herpes even if test is negative.
Dr. Jane Van Dis