My throat is starting to hurt! usually means for me a cold is coming, how can I prevent from getting sick?

David Miller

In brief: Start treatment

Zycam (over the counter) is considered by many to be effective but treatment must be started the moment you first detect symptoms.
I personally find zycam effective which i start taking at the first signs of a cold (scratchy throat). I also like "airborne" - also available over the counter. There had been reports of zycam nasal spray/swabs affecting smell. Use the lozenges.

In brief: Start treatment

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Rest + chicken soup

The data on using zinc to prevent progression to a cold is pretty poor and using the nasal zycam products are outright dangerous.
There have been consistent reports of permanent loss of smell with the use of zycam nasal. Airborne is likewise a poor and expensive choice and has lost a recent lawsuit implying infections. Rest and take it easy and use over the counter meds as needed for symptoms.

In brief: Rest + chicken soup

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
to correct a mistake above- Airborne lost a suit implying effectiveness, and preventing illness. The company was forced to refund the cost of a box to millions.
Dr. Arnon Rubin