My boyfriend and I just found out we have genital herpes.Can we have sex with out condoms since we both have?

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice

In brief: If no outbreak

If neither have an outbreak and are aware of each others herpes then the decision for sex is based on mutual agreement.

In brief: If no outbreak

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Yes, no problem

People are immune to new infections with the same herpes type (HSV1 or HSV2) they already have.
If it is certain you and your partner are both infected with the same type, or if one of you caught it from the other, there will be no risk for new infection. You'll probably want to avoid sex during outbreaks, for comfort and to avoid irritating the lesions. Otherwise feel free any time!

In brief: Yes, no problem

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Marsha Davis