I lost my voice is it contagious will my newborn get sick?

Dr. Brian Broker
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: May be contagious

Newborns are particularly susceptible to catching other people's colds.
Losing your voice suggests laryngitis which is often due to a virus that s/he might catch. Also, because its flu season, extra caution is advisable. You should see your doctor to see if you need treatment and what precautions to take with your child.

In brief: May be contagious

Dr. Brian Broker
Dr. Brian Broker
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Prevention

Your symptoms are most often associated with a viral illness.
This can be spread to your newborn by contact with infected droplets. Good handwashing and not coughing or sneezing near your baby is advised. If the baby is 6 months old, a flu vaccination can be administered. A follow up visit if the baby becomes ill or has a fever is suggested.

In brief: Prevention

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Jonathan Jassey