Lab results ALT 44 , AST 50, both are indicated high, what does it mean and what can be done? I take metformin, lisinopril and simvastatin.

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not high

Those numbers may be technically "high" in the lab you're using but they're not of biologic importance, being normal in most labs or only slightly above normal.
I suggest you avoid alcohol and repeat the test in a few weeks. Simvastatin can raise liver tests but they often return to normal with continued use and/or resolve with dose reduction-your doc can decide which is preferable.

In brief: Not high

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine