I have a tickle in my throat at night and I cough a lot and keep my husband awake. Any suggestions?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: See your doctor

Any number of things could be occurring to cause a night time tickle in the throat and cough.
This includes certain medications (a.C.E. Inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers), sinus infections, allergies, and gastro-esophageal reflux disease (gerd). Your doctor can help you figure this out.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Possibilities...

If your cough increases when you lie down, it may be related to gerd or post-nasal drip.
Bronchospasm is another possibility. If you have periods when you stop breathing in your sleep, you could have sleep apnea (your husband can look for this!) and would need a sleep study. All these diagnoses have different treatments. See your doctor for evaluation and treatment. Quit smoking if you smoke.

In brief: Possibilities...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine