My husband cleaned his ear with a q-tip and the tip didn't come out. What should I do for him?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: See your doctor
This is a foreign body to the ear and your ear, nose and throat physician, or your family doctor should be able to get this out.
For future reference, q-tips should never be inserted in the ear, as per the directions for use on the q-tip box.

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Remember the medical rule "never put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear"
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: First scold him
After scolding him for sticking a qtip in his ear (never ever stick anything in your ear smaller than your elbow) take him to an ENT doctor. We have special instruments that make removing foreign bodies easy.

In brief: First scold him
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
2 comments
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
You can start with his primary care physician. I take things out of ears often and I know many other pediatricians and FPs do too! No need to spend a higher copay if your PCP will do it!
Dr. Peter Ihle
if Ur PCP CAN do it!
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine