Why when i'm awake my soar throat is not that bad but when I go to sleep, I start coughing?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: Reflex
If one has a viral infection or other "cold" or "virus", and the lungs are affected, lying down causes a reflex cough to occur. There is a redistribution of fluids in the body, the lungs are sensitive to this and coughing begins.
Try sitting up or propping up to sleep and see if this helps.

In brief: Reflex
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Possibilities...
Sounds like post-nasal drip and there are prescription nasal sprays that are very effective.
Other diagnoses include gerd and bronchospasm. For diagnosis and treatment, you would need to be evaluated by your doctor. These diagnoses all have different therapies. Testing may be needed. Good luck!

In brief: Possibilities...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine