What are the best ways to deal with recurring issues of blocked and painful sinus problems?

See ENT specialist. The best way to deal with the problem you brought up will depend on the cause of it. If you have enlarged nasal polyps/adenoids, they may need to be removed. If you have deviated nasal septum, it ought to be corrected. If there is another anatomical abnormality it is to be treated. See your primary care provider or an ENT specialist to sort it out.
Humidification. Liberal use of saline nasal spray, humidification of the room, forcing fluids and the very judicious use of decongestant nasal sprays. If recurring and affecting your quality of life, you may need to see an ENT specialist to determine if you have other issues such and deformity of the nasal passages, septum, opening of the sinuses, tumor, or other problem. Simple things first, though.