I woke up with a sore throat, and when I swallow water it hurts. Does anyone know what this mightg be?

Viral vs. Bacterial. The condition may be tonsillitis or pharyngitis (if you have no tonsills). Usually viral, but strep throat is a common thing as well. Usually presents without cough, but may cause fever and swollen lymph nodes. If plain tylenol/ibuprofen fails to help and especially if fever lasts >3 days, go see you doc.
Throat infection. You may have an underlying throat infection and should be evaluated by your physician if it persist.