I recently lost my sense of smell, the docs think it is allergy related any ideas on getting it back?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: See an ENT
It is most likely not allergy related.
It may be from sinusitis or polyps or even a viral infection. Allergies can cause nasal symptoms but it takes more than an allergy to cause you to lose your sense of smell. An ENT doctor can look in your nose and see polyps and work up your symptoms.

In brief: See an ENT
It is most likely not allergy related.
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
In brief: Rhinoscopy or CTscan
Most common causes of losing smell are related to nasal congestion and increased mucus, as well as nasal polyps.
Rarely, it might be a problem with the nerves. It is therefore important to find out if there is anything that can be removed (secretions or polyps). Nasal saline rinses are a relatively safe procedure to decrease secretions.

In brief: Rhinoscopy or CTscan
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Eric Weisman