I wore a holter monitor for 24hrs due to blacking out and falling. It showed i had. St depression. What is this? Please explain . Thanks

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Depends

It is not normal.
Sorry, but need more information to explain it . Need to know where the st depression is and how many mm it is and what the rest of the ECG looks like. I would hate to give an opinion that is totally wrong based on assumptions of what else was seen or how severe the depression was. It may mean you need further work up to see if you have oxygen starvation somewhere in the heart.

In brief: Depends

It is not normal.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: Significance varies.

A holter monitor tracks your heartbeat by way of ekg leads worn continuously for 24-48 hrs, or more.
"st depression" is the term used when certain waves which normally point upwards, point downward instead. In some cases, this can reflect that a portion of the heart isn't getting enough blood supply. Some st depression is insignificant - but you need further information here. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Significance varies.

Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology