I have strep throat and when I eat something it hurts (when I swallow) is there a way to make it less painful?

David Miller

In brief: Throat spray

I would suggest one of the anesthetic throat sprays like chloroseptic.
They contain a compound like phenol that temporarily deadens the pain nerves and can give good temporary relief.

In brief: Throat spray

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Judy Orton

In brief: Gargle

Gargling with plain water can help pain and is easy to do.
Also is important to keep your throat moist by drinking plenty of nonacidic (juice) fluids (can make it sting). Same for carbonated beverages. Don't forget to complete your entire antibiotic prescription even if you feel better before then.

In brief: Gargle

Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Steroid addition to.

A short course of steroid added to standard antibiotic treatment can provide quick symptomatic relief.
Consult your doctor.

In brief: Steroid addition to.

Consult your doctor.
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine