My hypokalemia is hereditary, is it still curable?

Dr. William Betts
Neurosurgery

In brief: Hereditary hypokalem

It is treatable but it is not curable.
You should be followed closely by a nephrologist.

In brief: Hereditary hypokalem

It is treatable but it is not curable.
Dr. William Betts
Dr. William Betts
Dr. Clarence Grim
I specialize in these issues and happy to consult with you and your team to find out exact cause and best treatment. One of the causes can be cured by kidney transplantation if you get the the correct kidney.
Pathology

In brief: No

However, it is treatable.
I am going to assume the diagnosis is correct and that you have one of the potassium-wasting problems involving the kidney and the related hormones. You have a lifelong management problem that should be relatively easy. Learn all you can about your illness (i.e., much more than most doctors) and stay proactive. Good luck.

In brief: No

However, it is treatable.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Herititary low K

Curable? Not today.
Controllable yes. If inherited usually 1/2 of your 1st degree relatives will have it. In general you will feel much better by moving to A DASH diet eating plan. Get the book and start tomorrow. . You can also download this from http://www.amazon.com/DASH-Diet-Hypertension-Thomas-Moore-ebook/dp/B0055OGSG6. Start tomorrow and report back in 2 weeks.

In brief: Herititary low K

Curable? Not today.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Arthur Rein

In brief: Probably not

Most metabolic problems of a hereditary nature are treatable but not curable.
A lot depends on the specific diagnosis. Generally, hypokalemia is treated with potassium supplements, ace inhibitors, or angiotensin antagonists or a combination of these drugs.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Arthur Rein
Dr. Arthur Rein