I have just come out of hospital after having my tonsils removed, so what is the best thing to do to recover?

Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Don't bleed
Stay away from blood thinners - including Ibuprofen pain meds (motrin, advil) - as they act as anti-coagulants, and increase your risk of bleeding.
Stay away from foods that may wipe the scab off early - anything sticky: breads of all kinds, pizza, tec. My patients stay on full liquid for two weeks after tonsillectomy, and have 90% lower bleeding risk than national average (it's the diet, not me).

In brief: Don't bleed
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Homeopathic Arnica 30c or 200c three times a day for 3-4 days will help reduce bruising (and bleeding).
Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Soft diet
The wound from a tonsillectomy is raw, similar to a scraped knee from a fall on the sidewalk.
Similar to that, the wound from tonsillectomy will form a scab ("eschar"), and similarly, will begin to disintegrate as the tissue beneath heals. Anything in your diet that sticks to that scab, and wipes it off before the tissue beneath is completely healed, increases the risk of bleeding! two weeks.

In brief: Soft diet
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Nothing really
Your body should recover on its own.
You may help by avoiding anything that will irritate your throat such as hard food, too hot or too cold fluids. Taking tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen, unless contraindicated, may help to get your pain under control. Other than that, recovery is usually quick and uncomplicated.

In brief: Nothing really
Your body should recover on its own.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine