I have a really bad sore thoat, and I would like to know the best way to soothe and heal it. Any suggestions?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Pharyngitis

Sore throat has different causes, and treatment depends on the cause.
Sore throat due to infection can respond to antibiotics(if indicated)/nsaids; due to acid reflux to anti-acid medications; due to post nasal drip to nasal irrigation (search healthtap for "netipot") or treatment of underlying allergies/sinus problems causing the post nasal drip.My wife likes to take herbal tea with lemon and honey.

In brief: Pharyngitis

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
2 comments
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Please note that most sore throats due to require antibiotics. If you have sore throat with fever and swollen glands, worthwhile getting checked out.
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Correction of the above:Please note that most sore throats "do not require" antibiotics (not ""due to require")