My husband was sitting quietly in a recliner when suddenly felt a rush of heat move from his lower body up to his head. What could cause this?

Several things. With these kinds of symptoms and their persistent nature, it's best if you see your doctor. He/she will listen to you, do an examination, possibly run some tests and let you know what's going on.