My husband has fatty liver and I heard that milk thistle is for the liver can it really help?

Unlikely. The role of milk thistle in fatty lived disease is limited. In hepatitis c one study showed that high intravenous doses may slow progression, but is not a cure. I do not recommend milk thistle to my patients. It is safe and if someone is ademant about taking it i don't necessarily discourage it. A large ongoing study may clarify the role of milk thistle in the near future.
No. Milk thistle has not been shown to help in fatty liver. If fatty liver is caused by obesity, diabetes, or high triglycerides, then improvment can occur with weight loss, blood sugar control, and lowering triglyceride levels. Vitamin e 400 units twice a day may be helpful in patients with fatty liver and elevated liver enzmes in the blood.