I just found out a close family member has hepatitis c. I know very little about it, will he die from it?

Dr. Gary Gottlieb
In brief: Not necessarily
Many patients with untreated hepatitis c may not progress to liver failure if they do not already have cirrhosis and do not drink alcohol.
New treatments are available that increase the cure rate for hepatitis c; your relative should definately find out if he or she is a candidate for this treatment. The minimum treatment to prevent progression to liver failure is complete abstention from alcohol.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Gary Gottlieb
Dr. Gary Gottlieb
Dr. Jamie Berkes
Internal Medicine - Hepatology
In brief: Unlikely
Only about 5% of people with hepatitis c die prematurely as a result.
Treatment is available and with early detection the risk of death is even lower.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Jamie Berkes
Dr. Jamie Berkes
Dr. Vicken Poochikian