How is tinea versicolor caused?Symptoms?Will it spread 2 another person by contact ?My husbnd suspect it. Dctor said fungal, but the patches luklike so

Dr. Chevies Newman

In brief: It is fungal

It is usually spread by indirect contact, old towels or by lawn chairs, etc.
It is a fungal infection, just a different type. Easily treated but mat take time, very common, don't feel poisened or contagous.

In brief: It is fungal

Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Cynthia Lu
General Practice

In brief: Tinea versicolor is

When the yeast grow out of control, a person can get a skin disease called tinea versicolor. It is not contagious.
Can be dry, scaly, itchy spots that are lighter than the surrounding skin. It disappears when the weather is cooler and returns when the weather is hot and humid. It is treated the same way as fungal infections are... With otc selenium sulfide or anti-fungal creams.

In brief: Tinea versicolor is

Dr. Cynthia Lu
Dr. Cynthia Lu
2 comments
Dr. Mario Mendizabal
I feel that it may be hard to treat sometimes. Is your experience similar ?
Dr. Cynthia Lu
Yes, I agree with Dr. Mendizabal. Fungus like to live and it takes diligence and patience to successful kill them.