I have leukemia but now in remission and I want to know if I can get and piercings or tattoos?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Depends on labs

Universal precautions (clean needles, etc) should be used independent of leukemia status.
You could get tattoos/piercings otherwise if your labs were okay -- platelet count normal (or >50k), WBC (particularly absolute neutrophil count = anc normal). Check with your treating physician first of course.

In brief: Depends on labs

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Tattoos

The United States food and drug administration (fda) does not regulate tattoos leaving the burden of tattoo safety and regulations up to individual cities and states.
Some of the risks that come with getting a tattoo are infection at the site of the tattoo, allergic reaction to the tattoo dye, the spread of disease such as HIV and hepatitis c, granulomas and keloid formation. No tattoos.

In brief: Tattoos

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher