I gave blood and had a scary experience with low blood sugar. How can I keep this from happening next time?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Eat and hydrate

You should prepare for your next blood donation.
You should vigorously hydrate yourself with a quart or more of fluids before the procedure and drink plenty of fluids before and after the donation and also eat some high protein and complex carbohydrate foods before the donation. It would not be a good idea to eat immediately before the donation. Some simple things like hard candy just before ok.

In brief: Eat and hydrate

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Muhammad-ali Zaydan
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Gatorade

Srink plenty of gatorade or equivalent prior to donating blood.

In brief: Gatorade

Dr. Muhammad-ali Zaydan
Dr. Muhammad-ali Zaydan
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine