I am so constipated. I have the urge to go but the stool is hard and will not pass. What can I do?

Dr. Gary Gottlieb
In brief: Fiber/stool softener
First make sure that your constipation is not a side effect of medications such as narcotic pain meds or certain antidepressants.
I usually recommend a combination of fiber supplements (benefiber/metamucil), stool softeners (docusate), and osmotic laxatives such as magnesium, milk of magnesia, (magnesium hydroxide) or peg 3350. Choose dosages that do not cause a purge, but lead to soft formed stools at least 3 per week.

In brief: Fiber/stool softener
Dr. Gary Gottlieb
Dr. Gary Gottlieb
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: First of all
Go on a liquid diet until you are completely emptied avoiding caffeine and alcohol.
You can use glycerine supposoitories in the rectum every 6 hours or a fleet mineral oil enema to loosen stool from the rectum and milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) 1-2 tbsp every 12 hours until cleared. Then to prevent be sure to drink 80-100 oz of fluids daily, caffeine free/alcohol free.

In brief: First of all
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine