Had gastric bypass in 2005 and teeth keep breaking i now have 5 broken teeth and they even break on soft foods am taking vitamins regularly?

Dr. Karen White
Dentistry

In brief: Ok

They can also be susceptible to the acid reflux which can occur from the gastric bypass.
The acid destroys the enamel and makes it easier to get decay and erosion. Mi paste is good to use can reflux into the.

In brief: Ok

Dr. Karen White
Dr. Karen White
2 comments
Dr. Keith Hasday
but it depends upon how recently he had the gastric bypass...im not sure what MI paste actually does...
Dr. David Schleimer
MI Paste purportedly recalcifies enamel. I am rather dubious of this assertion, and I think the science is quite unclear on this as of now. I think it does cause micro filling of enamel spaces with calcium, but I have yet to see evidence based reporting of its clear advantage. If so, I would love to use it, as an orthodontist I have to deal with decalcification by my poorer oral hygiene patients. I look forward to more precise investigation and supportive data.
Dr. Keith Hasday
Dentistry

In brief: Maybe a conincidence

Gasttic bypass is unrelated to breaking teeth.
I would not expect to see the two problems together unless there was some coincidental bulimea.... Often times teeth break secondary to a high caries rate. This can be hereditary or more likely it can relate to poor oral hygiene.. It can also relate to a hereditary condition that results in malformation of the teeth like an enamel formation defect.

In brief: Maybe a conincidence

Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. David May
Dentistry

In brief: Vitamins won't help

Unfortunately, there are no vitamins i know of that can strengthen your teeth after they have erupted.
If you had any conditions before your surgery, they could have come back to haunt you now. Many people who need gastric surgery have other problems like gerd and/or osa. Both of these conditions can have deleterious effects on your teeth that might not show up until later. Have you seen dds?

In brief: Vitamins won't help

Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. Steve Martinez
Breast Surgery

In brief: Calcium

It may be more difficult for your body to absorb calcium.
It may be worthwhile to have your doctor check your calcium level and parathyroid hormone level as well.

In brief: Calcium

Dr. Steve Martinez
Dr. Steve Martinez
Dr. Jack Binder
Dentistry

In brief: Seek care

I can't see why gastric bypass surgery would affect the strength of your teeth.
There must be other factors. Please seek professional care for an informed opinion.

In brief: Seek care

Dr. Jack Binder
Dr. Jack Binder
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery