My doc ordered a colonoscopy for me since I am over 50. Can anyone give me the real 411 on this procedure?

David Miller

In brief: Colonoscopy 411

The importance of colonoscopy is to screen for colo-rectal cancer, the #3 most common cause of cancer death in both men and women in america.
The procedure is started by giving you some sedation to put you almost to sleep. A small camera is then inserted into your anus and snaked up your colon and photographs and (if needed) samples are collected. Not nearly as bad as it sounds.

In brief: Colonoscopy 411

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Low risk

Bleeding and perforation are indeed risks however combine risk in the hands of an experienced endoscopist is probably less than 1%, so it is safe and by far the most efficient test for polyps/cancer of the colon as it is both diagnostic and therapeutic, which none of the alternative exams are.

In brief: Low risk

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Adam Smith