What's the difference btw Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) XR and a generic brand? What should I expect if I have to change? Thankd

Dr. Matthew Davis
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Cost

A lower co-pay or out-of-pocket expenses.
Any other differences are generally marginal if any. As an example, 20mg of branded Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) xr may be 19mg and change up to 21mg. Generic has, more-or-less, the same margin of error. Your body's own variability in neurotransmitter amounts have a larger margin of error. Placebo effects will be more significant.

In brief: Cost

Dr. Matthew Davis
Dr. Matthew Davis
Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Usually OK

Usually most people do not have any problems switching to generics.
That being said, the only times I have had issues is with "xr" or extended release formulations. Most people do not notice, but there are a few that are extremely sensitive to how a given drug is absorbed and released in these formulations. Give it the generics a try, you most likely won't notice. If you do, switch back.

In brief: Usually OK

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Eric Weisman