I have heard that anesthesia is "like poisoning someone near to the point of death and then reviving them, " and thatyou're "not breathing on your own." is it true?

Dr. Michael Gehrke
Anesthesiology

In brief: Not even close

Many patients under general anesthesia breathe on their own.
Anesthesia is extremely safe (safer than driving ur car). If the patient is undergoing an open thoracic or open or laparoscopic abdominal procedure they will need some amount of muscle relaxation. Most other procedures I have patients breathe for themselves whether they are intubated or have an lma.

In brief: Not even close

Dr. Michael Gehrke
Dr. Michael Gehrke
Dr. Joey Bluhm
Surgery

In brief: It is safe

Anethesia is safe for healthy patients.
I often tell patients that is more dangerous for you to drive than to undergo anethesia. Patients placed under anethesia are constantly monitored to assure safety with a md or crna next to the patient to make the necessary adjustments.

In brief: It is safe

Anethesia is safe for healthy patients.
Dr. Joey Bluhm
Dr. Joey Bluhm
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Pain Management

In brief: 2 X 4

There are alternatives.
Accupuncture for example can allow someone to perform a c-section or removal of thyroid gland. Since boys at harvard did first anesthesia procedure (cool large picture in library entrance) most have faired well.

In brief: 2 X 4

There are alternatives.
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: No and Yes

It is not anything like poisoning people near to the point of death.
A patient is placed in a chemically induced coma so that they do not feel any of the surgery. It is true that with a full general anesthetic we place a breathing tube, but that is because you are so comfortable that you might forget to do it.

In brief: No and Yes

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Daniel Williams
Anesthesiology

In brief: Untrue

Anesthesiology is the science of delivering various medications to patients in order to allow them to undergo procedures safely.
All bodily functions, except for spontaneous ventilation, remain intact. The medications that are administered do have effects on body functions, however, the idea that you are brought to the point of death and then revived is a myth.

In brief: Untrue

Dr. Daniel Williams
Dr. Daniel Williams
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery