I smoked 6 fags one week ago . I don't smoke but it was a silly one off . Now I have lots of phlegm comeing up and my throat hurts ? Whats wrong

Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Your lungs work

If you were in a house fire last week, you would be coughing up "junk" for a week or two--it is your lungs that still have cilia that work like little brooms to sweep out the tar/smoke solids/etc.
From the cigs. It will stop. Humidifier/vaporizer (/hot shower) can help with this, and help throat, often sore from frequency/intensity of cough. Please avoid in future, your lungs will thank you!

In brief: Your lungs work

Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: You smoked

The tobacco smoke irritated your throat and caused bronchitis or inflammation of your breathing tubes in your lung.
If you are not afraid of lung cancer and emphesema this is another of many reasons to never smoke again.

In brief: You smoked

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology