Last night me and my husband took a teaspoon of sodium carbonate by mistake thinking it was bicarbonate (sodium bicarbonate). No side effects yet. Should we worry?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: If no side effects

Sodium carbonate or soda ash is not poisonous but can be an irritant.
So if you dont feel any irritation in your mouth, esophagus or stomach than you should be alright and there will be no problem.

In brief: If no side effects

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Now nothing

Now it is too late , to do any thing, but speak to your doctor. Sodium carbonate or washing soda in large dose could be dangerous one spoon is a small dose nothing will happen what you should have done , giving milk immediately , taken to er or calling poison control for advise by calling 800 2221222.

In brief: Now nothing

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. William Forsythe