My child CMV when born, how would she be tested to see if the CMV had affect on her learning disability. She is 8yrs and she is at a level of a 2yrs?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: If she had symptoms

(was ill) & had a positive urine culture for CMV the 1st wk.
Of life, there's a 90-95% chance that congenital CMV caused her intellectual disability (i.D.). If she wasn't ill, but had a + urine for CMV the 1st wk., the chance is 10-20%. At 8 yrs., a small head + calcifications/other brain abnormalities on a ct scan & hearing/vision impairments implicate congenital CMV as the cause of her i.D.

In brief: If she had symptoms

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Joshua Hurwitz

In brief: Difficult Answer

It will be very diffcult to tell if your child's learning issues are due to CMV infection or another etilogy all together. I amsure that you ahve very good doctors, therpaists & specialist helaping you with her care- they are the best ones to answer this question.

In brief: Difficult Answer

Dr. Joshua Hurwitz
Dr. Joshua Hurwitz
Dr. Jane Van Dis