I'm not drawing enough blood from my fingers for my testing strip. Any advice regarding this?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Many tricks
Make sure you have the correct setting (depth) on your lancet device.
Don't "jerk" your finger away from the lancet device while you push the button (some people anticipate the poke and move their finger away). It might be helpful to rub the finger to be tested from the palm down to the fingertip prior to pricking it. Some people find it effective to run the finger under warm water...

In brief: Many tricks
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Robert Lang
If you have calluses on your fingers you can use the side of the fingers which have thin skin and generally hurt less because there are fewer nerve fibers on the sides
Dr. Allen Fein
Newer glucose testing devices require much less blood, so suggest you check out what is available. The costs are usually in the test strips, not the test device. I personally like using Free Style. Many allow for less painful poking ot the back of the forearm by the way, but I find that approach more cumbersome. Using the sides of the fingers hurts less than the undersides.
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Warm your hands
By washing your hands with warm water and soap , you will enhance the blood flow to your fingers, making it more easy to have blood come out when pricking your finger. You may also try using a different lancing devise that has more depth for it's lancets.

In brief: Warm your hands
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Marsha Davis