How do I decide on the best place to give birth?

Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: While I appreciate..

The romantic idea of a home delivery, i would advocate for delivery in a hospital setting.
All of the necessary tools and expertise are readily available to address any issue that might occur. This may not be the case at home, and the consequences can be significant for both mom and baby. Moreover, high level perinatal care is immediately available.

In brief: While I appreciate..

Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Timothy Raichle
The chance of something going wrong with your newborn is FOUR TIMES greater in the home setting than in a hospital setting. No matter what you read online, hospital birth is safer for the unborn and newly born child. Go in to the hospital, have a "natural" experience with the ability to intervene if things are not going well!! I feel really strongly about this!
Dr. Amy Herold

In brief: Hospital tours

First find out what hospitals are covered by your insurance and where your doctor has privileges to perform deliveries.
Then choose a hospital that is reasonably close to where you live, you don't want to be driving for hours while you are in labor. If you have more than one option, take a tour and see which one fits your needs the best.

In brief: Hospital tours

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Adam Levy