I have braces; what is a way to reduce the inflammation of my gums? I haven't been flossing much, and i'm going to use warm saltwater too.

In brief: Extreme Hygiene

Braces make one's oral hygiene much more difficult! my suggestions are the following: purchase and use an electric toothbrush at least 3x daily, purchase and use a water pik 2x daily, rinse with both an antiseptic and Fluoride mouthwash and see your dentist 3 to 4 times a year for cleanings while your in orthodontic treatment.
Warm salt is good to help your gum heals, but really work on prevention.

In brief: Extreme Hygiene

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Control infection

If your gums are swollen it means that they are infected.
You can't wish the problem away, you actually have to become proactive. Brush 2x/day for 2 full minutes by the clock. Clean between teeth daily w floss, proxibrush, or rubber tip. If you don't clean between teeth, you can't remove all the infection-causing bacteria. A water pik 1x/day will reduce inflammation and shorten time in braces.

In brief: Control infection

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. David Schleimer
All true, but 2 minutes of incorrect cleaning will have the same effect as someone who spends little time. Agility, proficiency and diligence. It takes work to get good at anything!
Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Hygiene better

You need to get a good dental hygiene visit for a cleaning then listen to the instructions of the hygienist and dentist, floss and a water irrigation device will help, also you may need a rx of Peridex (chlorhexidine gluconate) rinse to help lower your bacterial load due to plaque and inflammation.

In brief: Hygiene better

Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dr. Gilberto Nunez

In brief: Brush and floss

Braces make it much more difficult to brush and floss your teeth, but it is extremely important that you take the time and effort to do so.
The inflammation in your gums is from food and plaque that is not properly cleaned away. Angle your toothbrush at 45 degrees toward the gumline on all sides and use threaders to help floss around the braces. A proxabrush is also a helpful aid.

In brief: Brush and floss

Dr. Dominick Curalli
Dr. Dominick Curalli
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: Inflamed gums; brace

Rinsing mouth with combination of warm salt water, mouthwash (antiseptic type), & hydrogen peroxide (don't swallow!) can reduce bacteria, sooth gums, flush out food particles.
Waterpik with similar mixture can be like flossing. Otc NSAID (aleve/advil/motrin) can calm inflammation & ease pain. If gums don't show improvement in couple days, see orthodontist right away.

In brief: Inflamed gums; brace

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Peter Kurzweil