When a person injects insulin in the same place for a long period of time, does the skin harden over time?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Yes it can

Amd it's called lipodystrophy.
I advise my patients to rotate between thighs, arms, upper part of buttocks and arms. The skin change is reversible within a few weeks if site is left alone.

In brief: Yes it can

Amd it's called lipodystrophy.
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

We call this lipohypertrophy.
Not only can this be a problem cosmetically but it can also interfere with how your Insulin is absorbed making it harder to keep your bs under control. That's why we recommend and find it very important to rotate injection sites regularly. There are many ways to do this: one example: rotate clockwise around the belly button with each injection 1 inch apart...

We call this lipohypertrophy.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham