For about 2 months I've been coughing, wheezing, had chest tightness and breathlessness. Is seeing an allergy/asthma dr a good idea?

Yes, good idea. An allergist can assist you in identifying the triggers of the cough, wheeze, etc, perform an examination, perform a breathing test called spirometry, and prescribe the right medications to control/prevent the symptoms as well as a quick relief medication to give rapid relief.
Absolutely. Allergists treat asthma and can assist you in identifying its triggers. National studies showed that allergists provide among the best asthma care.