My brother has diabeties, and my parents are going out of town, what do I do if he gets low blood sugar?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Need trained adult

Any minor diabetic should be under the care of an adult with good training background on handling diabetes related emergencies.
I urge you to discuss this important matter with the medical staff that oversee your brothers diabetes care to come up with a solution. Better safe than sorry.

In brief: Need trained adult

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Rule of 15

Follow the rule of 15.
Eat 15 grams of carb, wait 15 miniutes then recheck bs and do it again if it's still low (< 70 or symptomatic). The followings have 15 gm carb:1/2 cup (4 oz) of juice, 3 glucose tablets, 1 cup of skim milk, 6 saltine crackers, 3 teaspoons of honey or corn syrup, 6-8 lifesavers, 6 oz of regular soda.

In brief: Rule of 15

Follow the rule of 15.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Adam Smith